Monday, May 5, 2014

Shopping Your Home (FOR FREE) - DIY

I have so many comments on my Facebook and Instagram accounts when I post pictures of my home decor asking "where'd you get that" or "how'd you come up with that idea".  Well...I will say that Pinterest has a lot to do with a lot of these ideas, BUT you can make your home look put together and "gathered" (the term for a space that looks like it has been collected over time).

What's the BIG secret?

SHOP YOUR HOUSE!

Yes, that's right!  Go shopping right in your very own home!  Hmmm...that might seem strange to some, but for me this is a monthly, if not weekly occurrence in my house.  I am constantly moving items and rearranging to get a look that I love.  And if I get tired of an item, I don't necessarily go buy something else to fill the space (although I do at times), I shop my house.

Follow these simple steps to shop your house:

1. Find a large space that you aren't using where items won't be in the way like your kitchen table (unless you actually eat at it), your bed, the floor, etc.

2. Collect items all over your house and put in the designated spot.  You can start with knick knacks if you are uncertain about this process, but I go all out.  I'm talking wall hangings, knick knacks, throw pillows, handmade items, etc.

3. Next, group like items together.  I like to group items by their color palette, but that is totally up to you.  Some people like to group according to theme, like birds, pictures, etc.  I don't find that this works well for me because I like to throw all sorts of items into a vignette, but I like them to be in the same color palette.  Take for example the mantle that I recently put together for spring.

All the items are in the same color palette with pops of green throughout.

4.  After you have grouped your items to your liking find a place to display.  Now this is the fun part...let your creativity flow friends!  

Some people like to create a decor closet or shelf in their home where they stash items that they aren't using at the time and rotate these items in their home.  Personally, I would love to do this, but I don't have the space for it right now so my items are spread throughout several of my closets and my shed.

Ultimately, this is about making your home beautiful and expressing your creativity.  So have fun with it and get "shopping".

No comments:

Post a Comment